Martha was an educator for over 20 years before she began her life as a full-time mom to her three sons. When her children finally left for college, she started sending them care-packages in the mail. At first, these included homemade cookies, power bars, tea, honey, and all sorts of seasonal necessities such as pumpkin Halloween lights and homemade Valentines. However, as time went on and Martha became aware of the poor quality food her kids were eating at school, she wanted to send food in her care-packages that tasted as good as homemade cookies but was actually good for them. After searching in vain at her local grocery and health food stores for anything that was both delicious and nutritious, Martha figured she would have to make the snacks herself. Enter: the MarthaBar.
After a bit of trial and error, and with lots of feedback from family and friends, the recipe was finalized. Not only was it an instant hit with her college boys, but also with her neighbors, nephews, nieces, siblings, and even the local Starbuck’s barista. Martha thought she might be onto something good, and that intuition was right. After Meghan from the local health food store (and her power-bar hating dad) gave the MarthaBar the “nutritious and delicious” stamp of approval, MarthaBar took off. Martha still has a hand in making many of the bars, and she hopes you enjoy eating them as much as she loves making them!
Feel free to reach out with any questions, concerns or queries you may have about MarthaBar. Martha will be happy to take your calls and emails.
404 Woodside Rd.
And, if you like the bars, make sure to like us on Facebook!
Find the location that sells MarthaBars nearest you! Also, if you know of a store that you think should carry MarthaBars, please, reach out! Alternatively, if you want bars shipped directly to you, order online here.
Feel Good About What You're Eating
A MarthaBar is one of those rare foods that you feel good about eating, and actually want to eat, too. With a MarthaBar, there are no guilty cravings. A thick layer of dark chocolate surrounds a nutritionally dense interior of organic ingredients including raw almonds, chia seeds, hemp, peanut butter, flax seed and meal as well as organic coconut oil, raw unfiltered honey, cranberries, cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt. Every ingredient provides health benefits as well as lights up your taste buds. Below is a list of ingredients in a MarthaBar and their health benefits:
- Can help lower blood pressure and improve blood flow
- High in antioxidants, potassium, copper, magnesium and iron
- The flavonoids in dark chocolate can help reduce insulin resistance by helping cells to function normally
- Encourages your brain to release endorphins as a result of containing phenylethylamine and thus acts as a mood enhancer
- Can improve cognitive functioning
- Reduces inflammation by lowering the levels of LDL cholesterol and C-reactive protein
- Contains protein
- High vitamin E content acts as an antioxidant
- Good source of vitamin B2 and B17
- High in magnesium, copper and potassium
- Increases levels of beneficial gut bacteria
Peanut Butter (organic)
- Helps balance cholesterol levels
- Contains dietary fiber which regulates blood sugar and weight
- Contains protein, niacin, vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and potassium
- Can increase metabolism
- Acts as an anti-microbial agent, protecting against bacteria, viruses and funguses
- High in antioxidants, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals
- Supports the functioning of the immune system
- Promotes growth of beneficial gut bacteria
- Helps with sleeplessness
- Contains calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, copper, chromium, manganese, and selenium
- Supports healthy urinary tract function
- High vitamin C and antioxidant content
- Contains flavonoids that help regulate cholesterol levels
- Helps strengthen teeth and bones
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory agent
Coconut Oil (Organic)
- Comprised of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which are easily digested
- MCTs also burn like carbs, but do not cause insulin spikes
- Boosts thyroid function
- Can help increase metabolism
chia seeds (organic)
- Very high in nutrients and low in calories
- Good source of fiber, protein and antioxidants
hemp protein powder (Organic)
- Contains all 9 essential amino acids that the human body cannot produce on its own
- High in calcium, iron, magnesium and vitamin E
- Good source of omega-3 fatty acids which support heart health and brain development
- Great source of fiber
- Contains omega-3 healthy fats
- Contains lignans which reduce the risk of breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men
- Has anti-fungal, anti0bacterial and anti-parasitic properties
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Can help regulate blood sugars
- Excellent source of magnesium, fiber, iron and calcium
Portland Press Herald
Hiking the trail
"Instead, present is a delicate balance of the flavors of chocolate, peanut butter, cranberries, and vanilla in which no flavor overpowers the other." The Outdoor Adventure gave MarthaBar a rave review. Read more.